Author: Ann O’Brien
How to empower yourself and nourish your body, mind and soul!
I myself have actually done detoxes. I can say from my experience that afterwards I’ve felt more clear mentally, physically lighter, less pain in my body and have probably lost a pound or two. During the detox, I’ve felt like I’ve wanted to hit someone for a plate of nachos. Have they worked? Yeah absolutely. I started thinking though, why can’t we detox without it being so shocking and hard on our body and minds? Can detoxing be a way to nourish your body and your soul? How can we shift our vision about detoxing and make it more related to clearing out things that we no longer need?
The purpose of a detox is detoxification is about resting, cleaning and nourishing the body from the inside out. By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health. How interesting, then, no where in that sentence does it say suffering, starving or hurting yourself. Key words. Nourish! Healthy nutrients! Maintain optimum health! REST! All good things.
I can say that I’ve felt my best when I’ve eaten in support of my health, practiced yoga or got my sweat on, got lots of rest, meditated (yes you need to!) and surrounded myself with positivity and love. So here are some tips that you can use to start detoxing and nourishing yourself as a whole person in a healthy and balanced way.
- Eat well. Seems simple right? Not so much! With convenience foods and take out it’s so much easier to just grab and go. Our nutrition is on the back burner. If you want to support your body with nutrients, start incorporating the following: Fresh vegetables including lots of leafy greens, whole grains including quinoa, millet, even whole grain bread! Whole fruits, avocados, lean meats, fish, herbal teas as well as green tea are all great things to put in your body!
- Drink more water. Room temperature. Sip it through the day.
- Start going to bed an hour earlier. More sleep equals more energy!
- Watch less TV. Less TV is less temptation, no food ads to entice you to eat poorly. TV also stimulates your brain, which can make it harder for you to sleep.
- Let go of social media. We get bombarded with messages on a regular basis and spend ages mindlessly scrolling through status updates. Limit your time on social media, you can even give yourself a schedule, one hour when you get home from work, then done. Put the phone down. Seriously.
- Declutter! IF you have a lot of stuff laying around, ask yourself what you can let go of. I’ve heard the saying a clean room means a clean mind and it’s true. When you have less stuff out your mind can settle and positive energy starts to flow.
- Meditate. Best way to connect to yourself, feel your body, calm your mind is to stop, close your eyes and be still. You only have to do 5 minutes to notice it’s affects.